Saturday, March 8, 2014

Wanted: Simple veggie ideas

I'm curious to know what you all do for super simple veggies.  I'm thinking mostly as "side dishes."  The most common thing we do is steam some broccoli and throw some salt on it.  I'm happy to eat that almost every night of the week.  However, I'm trying to branch out a little.  Partly for variety, partly because it's fun, and partly because I want to use other veggies I can get at the farmer's market

So this week I have eggplant, green beans, kale, and broccoli for side dishes.  What are your favorite ways to make those bad boys?

I'm also curious about cucumbers because they're cheap here.  I haven't bought any cause I don't really know what to do with it.  Ideas?

Also, Dad, can you post your lentils and rice recipe?  I remember never being real jazzed about it growing up, but I feel like that may have changed.

Molly

1 comment:

  1. Molly,

    Take a look at the following two threads from the blog:
    Sunday, October 7, 2012, Sausage Lentil Stew
    Thursday, September 13, 2012, Pease Porridge

    Straight-up lentils and rice is based on 8 cups water, 1 cup lentils, 1 cup rice. The lentils take 55 minutes to cook, white rice takes 20 minutes, so add each to the boiling water at the appropriate time to bring it all out together. For basic seasoning I use an onion and some garlic, salt and pepper. Anymore, I add some sliced up carrots and celery, as for any soup. If you like the curried lentils and rice version, add 1/4 t. of curry powder. If you use brown rice (Kate's choice, I believe) it takes longer to cook so you need to add it earlier, maybe T-35 minutes. The basic recipe comes out fairly dry, no broth, so not a soup per se. Cold, it is good spread on saltines. You can always increase the water if you want it soupier. One option we like is to add a can of diced tomatoes with jalapenos near the end which makes it more of a soup and provides a little kick (if you haven't already added some hot pepper). I also sometimes like to add some diced potato.

    As you can see from the blog threads, this is a great place to experiment and/or use up random vegetables from your market.

    Enjoy,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete