Friday, October 17, 2014

Zucchini scrapple - sort of

Hard as it is to believe, we're still looking for ways to use up zucchini.  Last night I decided to make polenta and to used pureed zucchini in place of the water.  The results we delicious - it was creamy and had more flavor than plain polenta, but didn't taste overwhelmingly of zucchini.  I'll make it this way any time I've got zucchini on hand from now on.  I was going to call it zucchini polenta, but Aleks, have just enjoyed the two pounds of scrapple that Mom and Dad brought us, dubbed it zucchini scrapple, and I liked it.

Shred a large zucchini (about 2 pounds), then puree to yield about 3.5 cups of puree.
Add 1 cup milk and 1 t salt
Heat to a boil (careful it doesn't boil over), then gradually add 1 cup polenta or cornmeal, whisking to prevent lumps.  Cook over low heat until thick and the rest of your dinner is ready.

I think if you spooned it into a loaf pan and cooled it, you could make a block which you could then slice and fry, but we didn't bother with that step.

I served it with fish cooked in a quick white sauce and broccoli on the side, but it would also be good with pork or whatever else you like to eat with polenta.  Might not work quite as well fried up in an egg sandwich for breakfast, which is how I've been enjoying my scrapple :)

Maggie

1 comment:

  1. Last night I made something like this accidentally when a zucchini meatball recipe went south. Instead of polenta I used parmesan cheese and it was to die for! No milk either, but some panko breadcrumbs and hot pepper. I googled zucchini scrapple because I couldn't believe how similar it tasted, and here it is!

    ReplyDelete