Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Chili - the kitchen sink version

Whenever I used to make chili, I did the Zoe Keck method.  I loved it.  SUPER easy, SUPER simple, and definitely delicious!

I just used ground beef, onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, whatever inspired me in the spice dept, peppers, a can of black beans, can of red beans, and a can of diced tomatoes and/or tomato sauce.

I always said that my chili had no bells or whistles, but I always really liked it.

Well a month or so ago, we tried a Steve Raichlen recipe for chili.  It had many  more ingredients but it was KILLER.  We looooved it.

The other night we wanted to throw together a chili and instead of using a recipe, we just made what we're now referring to as the Kitchen Sink Chili.  We used inspiration from the Raichlen recipe with the "dump it in" inspiration from Mom.

Here are some of the things we've added...

  • beer
  • chicken broth
  • chunks of pork
  • cocoa powder (or whatever chocolate you have lying around)
  • brown sugar
  • liquid smoke
  • cut back on the tomato (most of the liquid comes from broth and beer)
  • chipotles
  • cinnamon
  • hot sauce
That's obviously not all that we use, but it's the new things we use.  It's so good!  The other thing that makes a difference is giving the chili enough time to simmer (probably a big duh!).

I'll tell ya, it's fun to stand over a pot and just throw things in for fun until it's delicious.  There's no right or wrong!


No comments:

Post a Comment