Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Spicy Black Beans

I wanted some tasty beans for brunch this morning; we didn't have any frozen (need to get on that) so I used a can of black beans.  Recently I re-read the ingredients on the Goya Recaito (Cilantro Cooking Base) and realized that it contains MSG, so I decided to avoid using it, so I had to make this up on my own.  What I wound up with was:

1 can Black Beans
1/2 can Diced Tomatoes (or use the whole can!  I like the ones with jalapenos)
1 Onion, diced fine
3 Cloves Garlic, diced very fine
1/2 t. Ground Mustard
1/2 t. Ground Cumin
1 t. Ground Coriander
1 T. Dried Cilantro
1 T. Dried Oregano
1 small Bay Leaf
1/2 t. Cocoa
1 T. Lime Juice
1/4 t. Thai Fish Sauce
Salt and Pepper to taste
Crushed Red Pepper to taste

I used Coconut Oil to saute the onion, then added the beans, blended in the seasonings, added the garlic, added the tomatoes, and finished with the lime juice - you all know how it's done.  I really liked the effect of the little bit of cocoa and the lime.  Next time I might think to include some oregano.

I put mine on a piece of Perry County scrapple with a poached egg dropped on top.  Delish.


3 comments:

  1. 12/10/2015
    Just made this again for dinner tonight. Anymore, I just use the whole can of tomatoes; I like the petite diced with jalapenos. Also have been using 1 T. Dried Oregano, and this time, I also added 1 small Bay Leaf. I updated the original post to include these mods in the recipe, added in italics.

    Also, if you used dried chili peppers from the garden, don't touch your eyeball after handling them. Ask me how I know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Just made a pot of these for lunch/to have around in the fridge. Modified a bit to reflect what I had on hand (no mustard, fresh cilantro instead of dried). Also added cayenne since I didn't see the crushed red pepper until just now and I was needing some spice. It's a solid black bean recipe. Might need to make a pot of these every other week or so just to have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made again, this time added 1/4 t. Thai Fish Sauce

    ReplyDelete