Saturday, March 16, 2013

Chicken Cacciatore

Hello out there!

I finally had the chance to cook a couple of times this week and I tried two new things.  I made chicken cacciatore for the first time.  It was pretty good, even though I didn't really follow a recipe.  Here's what you need...

Chicken - I used boneless, skinless breast cause I had it.  Most recipes call for thighs or drumsticks.
Red bell pepper, sliced
Onion, sliced
Garlic
Mushrooms, sliced
Can of whole plum tomatoes, chopped.  I used about 10oz with 1 pound of chicken
White wine, about 1/3 of a cup with 1 pound of chicken
Chicken stock, about 1/2 cup
Thyme, oregano, or whatever seasonings you choose

Pat chicken dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Heat olive oil in saute pan and add the chicken to brown both sides.  Remove the chicken.  Reduce heat and add more oil if necessary.  Add onions and pepper and saute until soft-ish.  Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook until veggies are done.  Add the white wine and cook until reduced by half.  Add the tomatoes, both, herbs, salt, pepper, and some red pepper flakes for fun.  At some point add the chicken back in to thoroughly cook.

If you just treat this like a stir fry (sort of), it works.  I didn't really measure, just threw some stuff in 'til it looked about right.  It ended up being pretty good.  Truthfully it wasn't my favorite because I don't get too jazzed about cooked bell pepper.  That being said, it's good enough to go on my regular rotation because it's quick and easy.

Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment