Sunday, June 23, 2013

I'm baaaaa-aaack! A "Mexican" salad!

Hey all,

I had a brief hiatus with cooking because I didn't have an appetite and was feeling too lame to do anything.  After a week in San Diego, I'm back and ready to roll!

This isn't much of a recipe, but boy was this salad delicious.  Tom is in dissertation world and wasn't eating especially well while I was gone.  I thought we could both use a dose of some leafy greens.  Here's what we ended up with.

Spring mix - chopped up a bit.  Most recipes would call for romaine, but we prefer spring mix.
Ear of corn - kernals cut off and sauteed with salt, pepper, and a little bit of butter
Cherry tomatoes - halved
Red bell pepper - chopped
Avocado - chopped
Black beans - rinsed
Feta or cotija cheese - crumbled

Dressing:
1/4 c lime juice
1/4 c olive oil
2T honey
cilantro - some, chopped
garlic - some, crushed
salt & pepper - to taste

Throw that all in a big old bowl and toss.  Note:  I did not toss the dressing with the salad because I didn't want to run the risk of having too much.  We also sauteed some chicken to throw on top, but that wasn't necessary, though it was tasty.

If you have any great salad recipes, throw them out here!  I'm not sure why I don't make salad for dinner more often.  I could use a few ideas.

Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment