Saturday, April 19, 2014

Rice Noodles

I first made this at Jo's direction just after we had gotten home from Produce Junction, so it's really her idea.  But I just made it for supper tonight and it was awesome.

The other day I wanted some light broth so I made chicken bouillon with rice noodles.  Then I read the label from the bouillon.  This is not something we should be eating.  So,  I bought 10 lb of chicken legs for $7 to make broth to have on hand in place of bouillon.  With broth on hand and wanting something light tonight, I decided to reprise Jo's recipe.

I used about 4 c of chicken broth for two people.  I sliced and roasted 4 large mushrooms (I used white button mushrooms, Jo used shitake;  the shitakes had more flavor) and diced up a large shallot.  Into the pot along with three stalks of celery, some fresh garlic and some fresh ginger.  Salt, pepper, and a little ground mustard, of course.  Simmer until the veg are done, add half a pack of rice noodles, cook until noodle are done.  Serve with rice crackers (ours were Wasabi), and tonight, since there were ripe avocados at the store, sliced avocado.

Great light meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment