Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Reduced sugar baking

Since we cut back on sugar, most baked good recipes taste too sweet.  Much as my mother did with fat for most of my childhood, I have gotten in the habit of routinely reducing the sugar by half to a third even for cakes and cookies.  Additionally I started noticing that things tasted too salty--was it because we eat such a low salt diet?  Finally, it dawned on me that when you cut back on sugar you also need to cut back on the salt by the same amount.  I'm sort of surprised by this; maybe it's obvious to those who know more about baking.  With this tweak, we find that the missing sugar does not harm the texture and improves the flavor of scones, cakes, and cookies.

1 comment:

  1. I almost never put in the full amount of sugar things call for - I'm only careful when I think the sugar may contribute to the texture and reducing it may mess that up. But if I put in all the sugar something calls for it's almost invariably too sweet for me. I haven't noticed the salt thing, but then again, I like salt...

    ReplyDelete