Saturday, July 19, 2014

Almond butter zucchini bars

I've had a lot of zucchini in the kitchen lately, so I've been trying to use it in all my normal endeavors, which mainly include trying to get everyone to eat more protein and more veggies.  I've specifically been trying to come up with snacks that Aleks can take to work to keep him going through the afternoon so he doesn't come home crabby with low blood sugar.  My criteria are that they have to have a good amount of protein, and they have to keep, unrefrigerated for most of the week.  I came across this recipe for bars made with almond butter and zucchini and they fit the bill.  They are also delicious!

3/4 c almond butter
1 c + grated zucchini
1 egg
1/4 c maple syrup
1 t vanilla
2 t cinnamon
3/4 t baking soda
1/2 t nutmeg
1/4 t salt
1/4-1/2 c chocolate chips, optional

Mix all the ingredients together.  Bake in a greased 8X8" brownie pan a 350 for 30 min until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  A note about the chocolate chips:  I found them superfluous.  I think if I were compelled by the kids or Aleks to use them again, I would cut the maple syrup by at least half.

-Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment