Monday, January 28, 2013

Butternut Squash and Kale Soup

Tonight I tried a recipe for butternut squash and kale soup.  Truthfully I didn't think it was going to be very good, but it looked to be healthy.  I decided to give it a shot to force us to eat more veggies.  However, I was pleasantly surprised.  This is a pretty quick weeknight soup that makes ya feel good.  Also it's fun to mispronounce butternut squash as "squtternut bash."



Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
3/4 cup peeled and chopped carrot (about 2 large)
3/4 cup chopped celery (about 3 large)
2 tablespoons chopped scallions
some garlic, chopped
6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups water
3 to 4 cups 1-inch chopped butternut squash
2 cups torn/chopped kale leaves
2 to 3 sprigs fresh rosemary and thyme
One (15.5-ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
optional: grated Parmesan cheese, for serving

Directions:
1. Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot, then add the onion, carrot, celery, scallions and garlic. Cook and stir 5 to 6 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften.

2. Add the broth, water and butternut squash. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the kale and herbs and simmer an additional 10 minutes. Stir in the beans and heat through. Remove the fresh herb sprigs and discard. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve. Sprinkle individual servings with Parmesan cheese, if desired.


I did not serve it with parm and used plenty of rosemary and thyme (I am my father's daughter).  It was quite simple but paired well with the sourdough bread I had picked up.  Give it a shot!

P.S.  Sorry about the poor quality of the photo, I took it with my phone.

Molly





No comments:

Post a Comment