Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Kitchen sink Mega Muffins

Molly's post about mega-muffins got me to thinking - maybe my sugar-loving son who likes to get up and get himself a breakfast of a bowl of cereal (before his egg and oatmeal) would be happy to get himself a muffin instead, and in the process have a healthier breakfast.  So I searched for recipes and ended up combining several.  This is a first run through, and I'll follow with comments about what I would change next time.  Here's what we made:

1 1/2 c white flour
3/4 c flaxseed meal
1/2 c oatmeal
1/4 c wheat bran (but most recipes call for wheat germ.  I just couldn't find any)
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
3/4 t salt
>2 t cinnamon
1/4 c butter
3/4 c applesauce
1/2 c white sugar
1/4 c honey
2 eggs
1 1/2 c shredded carrots
1 1/2 c shredded apples
1/2 c craisans
3/4 c chopped mixed nuts
a small bag of frozen blueberries

Mix the dry ingredients.  Cream the butter with sugar and honey, beat in the applesauce, then add eggs one at a time.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Spoon into a muffin cups with liners.  Bake at 350 for ~25 min. Recipe made 21 small-medium muffins (nice for a 4 year old's pre-breakfast or a snack), some of which are now frozen in our freezer.

These muffins are pretty good, not too dense, moist.  Next time I would:
1) Use less sugar/honey.  These are too sweet for me, so I would use 1/3 - 1/2 c sugar total, and maybe add more carrots in place of some of the apples.  Other variations I saw also called for shredded zucchini, or for chopping the apples instead of shredding them.
2) These didn't have enough "crunch" for me.  I would replace more of the flour with oatmeal or flaxseed meal, and use more nuts.
3) I might also look for wheat germ instead of wheat bran to try to increase the flavor.
4) These were actually almost too moist for me.  I would be inclined to leave out the blueberries, though I think it might be harder to convince Will to eat them then.
5) I would use more salt, probably 1 t.  But then again, I'm a salt-aholic, so I probably wouldn't use more just to cut down on my salt intake.

All in all, a good starting place I think.  I would be interested in decreasing the sugar and increasing the protein content, and I'd be happy to hear any ideas along those lines.

-Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment