Thursday, November 28, 2013

Lemon Chicken Noodle Soup

The other day, we had roast chicken for dinner, mostly because I had a hankerin' to make chicken soup and needed the raw materials. As usual, the leaving all went into a pot with an onion, a carrot, a stalk of celery, some black pepper corns, and two bay leaves to cook down.  After cooking and cooling, I skimmed most of the fat and strained out the broth.   I picked the meat from the carcass, chopped it fairly fine, and added it back to the broth.

To make the soup, I rounded up all of the usually suspects:  chopped onion, celery, carrot, and garlic.  I also found we still had some very flavorful celery leaves and fresh parsley in the garden.  Last winter, we went the shore for a day and ate lunch at Yianni's Cafe in Ocean City, NJ.  The soup of the day was Lemon Chicken Noodle which I found intriguing and wanted to try, so in addition to everything else, I cut a lemon into thin slices, removed the seeds, and added them with the other vegetables.  For seasoning, salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste, of course, plus dried thyme, a little bit of dill seed, and a shake of dried mustard for good measure.  Cooked it all down, added potatoes and, just before serving, egg noodles.

By the time this was all cooked, the lemon slices had just the rinds remaining cooked through and soft, about like the carrot slices, with a little lemon flavor but no astringency.  I really like this soup.  It puts a whole new twist on chicken soup and I recommend that you try it next time you make it.

By the time we got to second leftovers, the egg noodles had about given up, having been cooked to death in rewarming, and much of the lemon flavor had faded, so enjoy this one fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment