Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Roasted corn and poblano soup with avocado

I was craving the taste of roasted corn and poblanos the other day, so I decided to make some soup today.  I borrowed heavily from this recipe, which is excellent:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cold-Avocado-Corn-Soup-with-Cilantro-Oil-231993

I didn't actually follow the recipe, so I'll write what I did.

4 ears of corn
2-3 poblanos/pasilla chilis (fresh, not dried)- to taste
1 med or 1/2 very large onion - chopped for soup
~6 cloves of garlic
2 medium carrots - chopped for soup
2-3 stalks celery - chopped for soup
a left over grilled chicken leg or two (you know, if you have them lying around and need to use them for something)
some chicken base/stock/boullion
1-2 avocados
~3/4 t ground cumin
~1/2 t ground coriander
1 small bunch cilantro
a little cream if you want it extra rich
a dash of lime juice

Roast and/or broil 3 ears of corn and poblanos.  I roasted at 425 for 17 min, then 450 for 7 min, then finished off in the broiler, because I was baking bread at the same time.  Cut the kernels off all the cobs (3 roasted + 1 raw, then chop the cobs into 3-4 pieces each.  Start your soup (as far as I can tell, the pretty much always means saute your carrots, onions, and celery in olive oil with a bit of salt until soft, adding the garlic in at some point).  Thow in your chicken pieces if using (these aren't necessary, but I did enjoy the slight smokiness they gave the broth) and about half the corn kernels.  Add water to cover - I used 6 cups, and about 2-3 teaspoons of chicken base (about half the ratio you would want for full strength boullion broth).  Simmer briskly until your bulbs that didn't do much this spring are dug out of the garden and your new flowers are planted - about 35 minutes.  Remove the corn cobs and any chicken bones.  I also removed most of the meat to eat another day.  If you like a chunky soup, Briefly chop the cilantro, then blend cilantro, cumin, and coriander with some of the soup, then stir into the pot.  Peel and seed the poblanos, and chop and puree them with some of the soup.  Finally, do the same with 1 of the avocados.  If you like smooth soups, just dump everything into the same blender.   Add the remaining corn kernels.  I also added a little cream, but I wouldn't next time.  It just wasn't necessary.  I didn't add lime juice, but I will add a bit tomorrow for lunch.

I made our soup with about 1 - 1 1/2 poblanos, but then put the remaining poblanos, pureed with some of the soup on the table for those of us who wanted more of that flavor and spice to stir into our soup.  How many to use really depends on your taste and how spicy your poblanos are.  I also cut up the second avocado and put it on the table.  Aleks added some cherry tomatoes to his.  We served it with plain cheese quesadillas.  They went well and the cheese added some protein.

This was delicious.  And healthy!  I'm sure I'll be making various versions of this many times to come.

-Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment