Wednesday, November 11, 2015

"Japanese" Breakfast

The last time I went to the eye doctor she told me that I (like everyone else) need to get more Omega-3 essential fatty acids in my diet and the best way to get them was to eat oily fish (better than fish oil capsule), preferably small ones to avoid mercury concentration in the food chain.  Basically, this was a prescription to eat two cans of sardines a week for my eye health.  I like sardines, so I was easily persuaded.  Plus, there's the option of mixing it up with kippers and canned mackerel now again, all of which are good (if you like canned, small oily fish).  Kind of fun to have a reason to browse this section of the store isle, also.

When I traveled to Japan on business, one hotel I frequently stayed at offered buffet breakfast, occidental on one side of the table, traditional Japanese on the other.  The Japanese side always included white rice, an array of Japanese pickles, often with fish as an option.  I came to like the rice-and-fish-with Japanese-pickles option.

One day not long ago these two thoughts came together:  hey, rice and sardines for breakfast; why not?  I made about 1/4 cup of rice for myself (not much chance of finding anyone else in the house who wanted in on this one; Mom opted for oatmeal), opened a can of sardines, and got out every Japanese and Indian pickle, chutney, or condiment we had.  I had wasabi paste, pickled ginger, mango chutney, hot mango chutney tamarind date chutney, and hot Indian lime pickle.  A bite was a bit of sardine, a bit of rice, and a small dab of one of the condiments.  I really enjoyed it and I recommend it, though it may be an acquired taste.  When Kate et al. came to visit last month she and I shared this while everyone else remained more American mainstream.  We both loved it.  Gonna have to look for a Japanese grocery in the city to see about getting some other appropriate pickles.

No comments:

Post a Comment