Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Lime Pickled Chili Pepper Idea

Visiting with Mom's relative in MN this summer, Uncle Dan commented on a seasoning called Tajin which he liked.  None of us knew what it was but a quick post-visit Google search reveals that it is a Mexican season comprising chili peppers, lime and salt which is good on melons, among other things.

I had a garden full of chili peppers at the time, so a took a smallish one, cut it into thin strips which would fit into the opening of the lime juice bottle, stuffed the pepper strips into the lime juice, added 1 teaspoon of salt, and put it in the 'fridge.

A couple of days later, I put a few drops of this on a slice of cantaloupe - interesting and very good, worth trying.  As summer waned and melon season ended, I started using a squirt of this in my glass of V8 juice each morning.  It adds some zing and is a lot easier than adding lime juice, hot sauce, salt and pepper individually each time.

The other day I was setting up for "Japanese" breakfast of rice and sardines (see previous post).  I put the last squirt of lime/chili juice into my morning V8 and was shaking the pepper strips out of the bottle so I could put it in the recycling when I realized I had some beautiful, bright red, chili pepper strips which might be interesting.  And me with a plate of rice and fish looking for interesting condiments.

Basically, I has accidentally made lime pickled chili pepper strips,  They were beautiful and delicious.  Gonna have to work on a purposeful recipe for these in the future.  I'm thinking maybe a variation on the normal pickled pepper recipe with lime juice substituted for some or all of the vinegar.  I would be interested in any ideas you may have or comments on experience with a similar concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment