Monday, April 4, 2016

Perfect Brownies

I recently developed a brownie recipe that I think yields something that can legitimately be called the perfect brownie.  I've had three independent groups proclaim these to be pretty much the best, so I feel somewhat justified in my claim.  This yields a straight-up chocolate brownie, moist and somewhat fudgy, definitely not dry, but just cakey enough to be different from flourless chocolate cake.

I adapted the recipe from one I found on Epicurious.com (originally published in Gourmet in Oct, 2003), and I applied some principles I learned from the America's Test Kitchen cookbook to get a deep, rich chocolate flavor.

2 sticks (1 c) unsalted butter
8 oz bittersweet chocolate (I use Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips)

1 c white sugar
1/3 c brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 t vanilla
1/2 t instant coffee dissolved in 3/4 t water

7/8 c all purpose flour (1 cup minus 2 T) = 3.94 oz
3/8 c cocoa (1/4 c + 2 T) (I use a mix of dutched and non-dutched cocoa)
1 t baking powder
1/2 salt
1/2 t cinnamon

Melt butter and chocolate over low heat, then remove from heat and whisk in sugar.  Allow to cool briefly, then add eggs one at a time, whisking after each egg until batter is smooth.  Whisk in the remaining wet ingredients.  Stir together the dry ingredients, then add to the chocolate mixture, whisking just until all the dries are incorporated.

Bake in a buttered 8X8" or 10X6" or so baking dish.  I usually line mine with parchment paper and then butter that to make it easy to remove the brownies from the pan.  Bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 min or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out "mostly" clean without any raw batter on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment