Saturday, May 14, 2016

Fish Quesadilla

I don't think we've had a discussion of quesadillas on the blog yet.  We've taken to making these as a great way to use up small bits of leftovers, especially things like spicy beans.  Or sometimes we will start from scratch with chicken strips and mixed vegetables or some such. 

The other night we got a reasonably good piece of cod fish from the store and ate it broiled with salt, pepper, and lemon juice with baked potato slices and steamed broccoli - very good in a straight up, traditional way.  Last night I sauteed up the left over fish, some left over rice, and fresh asparagus from the  garden with salt, pepper, a little horseradish, and some fresh lemon zest and used it for quesadilla filling.  We use shredded orange cheddar for the cheese cause that's what we tend to have, not too much, don't what to overpower the flavor of the fish.  Served it up with just a little bit of salsa (again, don't overpower) along with a big plate of lightly steamed fresh asparagus (you know what season we're in).  This was a winner.  The lemon zest provided a brilliant  high, light overtone.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a firm believer that you can put just about anything in a quesadilla, or a burrito for that matter. I often make "kitchen sink quesadillas." Never thought to use fish, at first it sounded odd, but we eat and love fish tacos, so why not? I'd give it a shot next time we have leftover fish. Could be interesting with some fresh pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I mentioned my favorite kale quesadillas on here once, but that was before coconut was the food du jour. :) Also, before I realized that the kale we grew that summer was unusually non-bitter. I like cheddar in a quesadilla but have also recently been using queso quesadilla. It's pretty mild, and so doesn't overwhelm the flavors of the other fillings, and melts really well. Costco sells raw quesadillas for ridiculously cheap, and we've been using those lately. They cook up nice and crisp and are thinner than standard grocery store tortillas. I keep them in the freezer until ready to use.

    ReplyDelete