Saturday, August 4, 2012

Sausage and Sauerkraut

Alright, pickling sounds good, and I am going to try the mix of the two versions, but I want to switch gears into some probiotic sauerkraut.  Please understand that we have been dipping into the mid thirties at night, and fall frost threatens at every sunset, so technically it is fall, and I will cook as though that is the case, and also drink hot buttered rum in the rain, as this too is a sign of fall.  So in the high country not much grows 'cept rhubarb, hearty greens, and (what the rest of you would refers to as) winter roots, though here they are a summer crop.  This aides in things like peach/rhubarb cobbler (awesome by the way) and fall spinach and the like, but it also has a hand in some cheap cabbage.  We have some kim chi going, and also some traditional (no vinegar added, just rocksalt and cabbage) sauerkraut.  This means that soon enough I will have some seriously good kraut on my hands.  It's gurgling in the living room as I type.  So I already started the bragging process about this recipe to the missus, and how it might change her perception of reality and all, and now I kinda need to back that up.  SO....Sausage and sauerkraut.  Anybody???.  OF COURSE I'm going to accompany it with some of Dad's Famous Jerry Garcia Mashed Potatos (it really is the space between the notes that makes the potatoes and and the Garcia solos so goddamn amazing, so I've adopted a new name to honor both.) (come on the old bird would have been 70 two days ago, it's Jerry week)  Looking to knock this one out of the park, and I'm not watching calories or anything else here, just need the classic recipe for sausage and rice balls in sauerkraut.  I have the mashers dialed.
Thanks
Love you all
Andy

2 comments:

  1. 1. I'm so jealous of your weather! I started school so I keep thinking it's fall here, but it's no where close.

    2. Thanks for asking this question! Every New Year we seem to have an excuse for not making sausage and sauerkraut but I really think I could convert some people if I just made it.

    I hope someone who knows something about this will respond (Maggie, Dad?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1/2 cup raw rice
    1 lb sausage
    1 onion, chopped
    1 egg
    Mix all those together.
    Form into firm balls, 4 ounces works well
    Layer with sauerkraut
    Cover with water, about 3/4 inch over the top.
    Simmer 1 1/2 hour.
    I use the crock pot.
    Don't let it dry out.

    ReplyDelete