Sunday, December 9, 2012

Beets with goat cheese

I'm not a big beet person.  But, we keep getting them in our CSA box, so I keep looking for new ways to eat them.  We went to a birthday party for one of the kids in Will's preschool today.  Definitely not my idea of how I wanted to spend a weekend afternoon, especially a weekend in December, but Aleks is a big believer in being sociable and friendly and all that stuff.  We were pleasantly surprised when we showed up to a low key party that included beer, and it turned out that the kid's mom made a bunch of food herself and she's a really good cook.

One of the dishes on the table was a beet salad.  It included watercress, I think, and cheve, and I really enjoyed it.  Later, while putting away groceries and making dinner, I discovered some roasted beets sitting in our fridge (I roasted them last week maybe, in an - apparently now successful - attempt to get us to eat them.)  Aleks sliced an orange to see if it was any good, and it was nice and juicy.  And we had some cheve sitting in our cheese drawer.  So, I decided to test this idea that goat cheese is good with beets.  Sliced up the beets, squeezed an orange over top, and added some little lumps of cheve.  It was really good!  I could take or leave the orange juice, but the cheese and the roasted beets go really well together.  I would recommend it and would be interested to hear of any variations and additions you come up with.

-Maggie

4 comments:

  1. I would be tempted to throw a grain in (quinoa) and probably some beans of some sort, and call it lunch. Sounds great. And what is this with not being a beet person. Have you tried just boiling them, and adding 'em to your favorite salad. Keep the dressing simple, course salt, fresh pepper and a little splash of oil. Or just grating them raw onto your favorite salad. Or roasted as a side dish with color. Man, I love beets. And the Cheve is always a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of how great beets are, our last planting of the year hasn't really produced much in the way of roots but is still growing greens. Salad last night was fresh beet greens mixed with (store bought) lettuce, sliced mushrooms, carrots, and celery with a simple tarragon vinaigrette dressing (home made tarragon/red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and a little ground mustard). We might still get one small helping of baby beets yet this year. I'm with Andy, beets are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's be honest here..beets are awesome and so is goat cheese. Stick that stuff on almost anything and it is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's be honest here..beets are awesome and so is goat cheese. Stick that stuff on almost anything and it is delicious.

    ReplyDelete