Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Swiss Chard

OK, I am the first to admit that in the middle of summer with the garden whizzing along producing more vegetables than we can eat every night, I don't think much about the Swiss chard at the end of the row.  But come December with the rest of the row turned under by the tiller that chard starts to look pretty good.  Today, I went to the store to buy salad makings for dinner.  When I got home and was taking the bag in from the truck, I just took a walk out to the garden and was able to cut enough young chard leaves from the center of the plants for tonight's veg.  Chopped, lightly steamed, and dressed with tarragon garlic vinegar (tarragon and garlic from the garden), it was a wonderful, fresh, green addition to a near-solstice dinner.  Can't beat that: fresh greens from the garden on 12-12-12.

No comments:

Post a Comment