Sunday, April 22, 2012

Green Bean Salad

This recipe makes green beans about as healthy as Dad's Mashed Potatoes make potatoes...and it. is. awesome.

Very simple recipe for you today. Tucson was flirting with 100 degrees today, so I spent the afternoon playing tennis, lounging in the pool with a beer in hand, and now I'm about to go to a BBQ. This recipe is summery, simple, and delicious. Start with the following cast of characters:



Green beans, cherry tomatoes, pesto, and vinegar (I used red wine).

The hippie in me reached into my freezer to take out some pesto I had made with basil I grew in my "garden" last summer. However, it looked like this compared to what I bought...



The brown/grey color was suspicious. The freezer burned texture wasn't the most appetizing. The flavor...where was the garlic!?


Mmm..green beans - you're healthy now...but just wait.



Anyway, all ya do is cook the green beans (don't forget to throw them in an ice bath!), halve the tomatoes, and throw them in a bowl together. I then used the vinegar to thin out the pesto a bit and make a little vinaigrette. Add that to the tomatoes and green beans and toss.

Then, my favorite part, steal a green bean or two to test it out. Add more pesto/vinegar as needed. I added more pesto...it seemed like the right thing to do.



I have a suspicion that this gets better with time. Had I not been laying on a raft in the pool all afternoon, I would have made this earlier so it had time to really blend. I'm still happy with my decision.

As for the health side of this...I think it's all fine and good except for the gobs of olive oil and cheese in the pesto. All in all, better than french fries.


Happy Summer!
Molly

1 comment:

  1. Oh and I fully admit that this recipe is cheating. Anything with pesto on it is going to be good...let's be honest.


    Also, I didn't write in any measurements cause I just did it until it looked right.

    ReplyDelete