Monday, April 16, 2012

Raita

Masalas and curries go very well with riatas.  Riata is basically equal parts of plain yogurt and diced cucumber with minced onion and spices.  Riatas go very well with hot dishes providing a cooling contrast to the heat of the peppers.

When I needed a riata to accompany my first attempt at Gohbi Masala, I Googled "riata recipe" and went to the first or second hit for "Traditional Riata" from Epicurious.   [Whoops!  I just went to check my source and discovered that Epicurious (and everyone else who is right, I presume) spells it "raita".  Funny thing is, "riata" gets hits for recipes, so it's not just me.]

So here is their recipe for

Traditional Raita

  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cup chopped seeded English hothouse cucumber
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 teaspoons chopped green onions
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Just mix all the ingredients and chill until ready to serve.
I, of course, substituted regular-ole cucumbers, and regular-ole yellow onions, as well as dried cilantro the first time thru.  I also added a tsp of lemon juice, which I thought was a great addition.  It was good, especially after chilling for at least 4 hours.

So that's all there is to raita.

Except, of course, that we are left with a great food concept open to interpretation and experimentation!   My first thought was "Boy, I bet a lemon-dill version of raita would be great, especially, for example, with fish."

A week ago, I was working on a salmon-rice recipe concept (without great success as it happens) and decided to try the lemon-dill raita concept to go with.  I bought some fresh dill from the grocery store, 3/4 oz package, (this will be much better in summer time when I can walk out to the garden for the fresh dill) and a lemon along with some green onions (as long as I was at the store, go with the recipe...).  So,

Lemon-Dill Raita
1 cup diced cucumber (regular-ole)
1 cup non-fat plain yogurt
3/4 oz fresh dill weed minced
3 green onions minced
Zest from about 1/2 lemon
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp of ground mustard
1/4 tsp of corriander

Mix it all up, the order probably does not really matter.

The day I made it, it was not very good and really did not live up to my expectations.  I stuck the leftovers (most of it) in the 'fridge in a bowl with a piece of cling-wrap pressed down to the surface to prevent air contact.

Two days later - WOW!  This is what I had in mind!  It took a while for the flavors to blend and come out, but this turned out GREAT.  I am inclined to make this about once a week and keep it in the 'fridge; it is an excellent condiment to just about anything, but especially fish, which is where I started with this concept - more later on that.

So here are two raita recipes, Traditional and Lemon-Dill and the basic concept to use as a base for a thousand flavor experiments...enjoy.

Lindsey

3 comments:

  1. Whoops! Had to make an edit here. I originally posted that I included 1/4 tsp of garham masala (as I did the second time I made this). But the second batch is not as good as the first and I was reminded that I actually used coriander the first time, so I edited the recipe. Also, second pass I was pretty enthusiastic about grating the lemon rind and now have a lot of bitter flavor and not much dill flavor, so maybe "grated rind from one lemon" should be "zest from one lemon", and be sure your dill has some oomph. Can't wait for fresh dill from the garden.

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well there was no saving that second batch mentioned in my comment above. It never improved to palatable and I finally threw it out. The lemon rind and garham masala were both big mistakes. I did a re-make today:

    1/2 Cucumber peeled and diced, about 2/3 cup
    Onion some, I didn't measure
    Yogurt, plain non-fat 2/3 cup
    Zest from part of a lemon maybe about 1/3
    Lemon juice 1 tsp
    Fresh dill, chopped 3/4 oz package from store
    Mustard, ground 1/4 tsp
    Coriander 1/8 tsp
    Salt to taste

    It tastes like it will come out OK. It's in the fridge now. I will let you know how it comes out.

    I modified the recipe in the original post accordingly.

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. The batch with lemon zest (not rind) and reduced coriander was very good. I recently made a batch with ~1 cup each of cucumber and yogurt, zest from one lemon, 2 tsp lemon juice, and fresh dill from the garden. I don't think I used any mustard and definitely did not add any coriander or other spice. Turned out very good. Fresh dill from the garden is great. Next time, I will probably include the mustard and the small bit of coriander again.

    ReplyDelete