Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Nutrition Data

When I want nutrition data on any food, I Google "[foodname] Nutrition Facts".  In the first or second hit, there will usually be one for a website called  nutritiondata.self.com.  That's where I go for my data.  Actually, you can just go to that website and use their search engine to search for your food or you can browse their database.  I like this source because the data is exhaustive; each of  nutrition sources is broken in detail - how much of what kind of sugars, how much of what kinds of fats, amount of each amino acid in the protein, etc.  Plus, they list vitamins and minerals.  I use copy and paste on each of the columns of data to transfer it to an Excel spread sheet (it is an html table so it parses into Excel cells automatically), then use VLOOKUP to transfer the data to database record/field format on another page.  I have to fill in the food name and portion weight by hand in the Excel SS, then use Copy and Paste Special As Value to move the info into a database list.  In time, my database contains all of the foods of interest to me.

Then I use VLOOKUP to create a recipe calculator, where I can list the ingredients and amounts and get them transferred to another table where they are summed.  Results from a recipe can then be copied up into the database.  Similarly, I have a menu calculator which sums up all the components of a menu to get the total calories and nutrition breakdown.

Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment