Thursday, April 19, 2012

My Perennial Herb Garden

My Perennial Herb Garden
This spring, thinking that it might be wet like last spring (HA!) I built some raised beds in boxes along the back of the house where they catch the south side sun.  My thought was that they would drain faster than surface level garden, allowing us to plant spring garden before we could get in to till. 

Luvage and Mint on the Side of the House
Well, of course, after the wettest fall in history, we have gone 2 1/2 months without significant rain and the are now in drought.  With the abnormally warm winter and spring, we got the garden tilled at the end February and peas planted before St. Patrick's Day!  So this was not the year I needed to build these beds.  But we have them, and one end of one has now become my perennial herb garden, boasting winter savory, German thyme, Greek oregano, French tarragon, rosemary, marjoram, and sage.  I also planted a split from Kanga's luvage plant along the side of the house (they get very large - up to 6 feet) along with a patch of pasture mint for tea (which spreads uncontrollably).   The spring garden has lettuce (we ate some thinnings and will be harvesting soon), spinach (leaves now pickable), radishes (ready to harvest), and beets (though these will be outdone by the long row in the main garden before they are ready to pick, I suspect).

Lindsey
Luvage Plant Transplanted from Kanga's at Schaeffer Street
Spring Garden with Lettuce, Beets, Spinach, and Radishes

No comments:

Post a Comment