Wednesday, May 2, 2012

All Those Canned Fish - Comparison Data

OK, I have to be honest, I have been kinda obsessive about canned fish lately.  I'm not sure why.  I just see the cans of fish in the grocery store and feel like there's a lot of good nutrition to be had for not much money.  I was pretty big on sardines in a previous post, but I think it is time to sort them all out using data rather than impressions.

There are 6 basic choices in canned fish (not counting crustaceans and mollusks) in our grocery stores:  red salmon, pink salmon, white tuna (with variations), light tuna, mackerel (with three variations: mackerel, chub mackerel, and jack mackerel), and sardines.  When I was growing up we used to eat something called bonito which came in a can like tuna and was cheaper but I don't see that in the stores anymore.  All of these are available packed in water; no point in adding extra soy oil.  I went to the store and bought examples of each so I could assess the nutrition labels at leisure, and recorded prices.  On a head to head comparison, here is what I find:


COST
Food                             $ per lb
Salmon, red                  $    7.92
Salmon, pink                 $    3.57
Tuna, Light                    $    3.48
Tuna, White                  $    4.12
Mackerel, jack               $    2.23
Mackerel, chub              $    2.13
Mackerel                       $    2.02
Sardines                       $    4.28

Let's look at cost first.  I used on-sale prices when they were commonly available - $1 a can for sardines, $3.29 a can for pink salmon.   Red salmon stands out as expensive, basically twice the price of the others.  Pink salmon, tuna, and sardines fall in a group around $3.50 to $4.50.  Sardines are the most expensive in this group so my buck-a-can-bargain argument is clearly busted.  Light tuna is the cheapest of the group followed closely by pink salmon when it's on sale.  The mackerels cluster together at about half the cost, $2 per pound, so they are the obvious bargains.

NUTRITION
All values per 1 oz (28 g):
Food                             Calories     Carbs       Fat                 Prot       % Carb     % Fat       % Prot
Salmon, red                  58             0.0            18.3             39.4          0%           32%          68%
Salmon, pink                 38             0.1            12.2             25.8          0%           32%          68%
Tuna, Light                    32             0.0            2.1               30.4          0%           6%           94%
Tuna, White                  36             0.1            7.5               28.3          0%           21%          79%
Mackerel, jack               36             0.0            20.5             15.0          0%           57%          42%
Mackerel, chub              44             0.0            15.9             27.7          0%           36%          64%
Mackerel                       40             0.0            15.0             25.0          0%           38%          62%
Sardines                       56             0.0            26.3             29.3          0%           47%          53%

There are no carbs involved here; this is all about fat and protein.  Interestingly, red salmon and sardines have significantly more cal per oz than the other fish. They also have less water content, so these two fish pack more grams of protein and fat and fewer grams of water into an oz of meat.  Tuna is surprisingly lower in fat and correspondingly lower in calories than the others, especially light tuna which might be considered the "skimmed milk" option of canned fish.

By the way, all proteins are complete relative to essential amino acids.

Let's look at the fat in more detail, especially with regard to omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids:
                           Fat mg      W3,mg      W6, mg     W3/W6     W3/Tot Fat
Salmon, red          2000           515           34             15.3          0.26
Salmon, pink        1400           339            27             12.7          0.24
Tuna, Light             236             79             3             31.2          0.33
Tuna, White           830            266           15             17.3          0.32
Mackerel, jack     2500             545           39             13.9          0.22
Mackerel, chub    1768             386           28             13.9          0.22
Mackerel             1500             327           24             13.9          0.22
Sardines              2895            398            29             13.8          0.14

Jack mackerel is higher in fat (and low in protein) compared to the others, a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, especially if you are getting protein from another source.  By the way, I did not have complete data for all three types of mackerel and so assumed the W3/W6/Total fat ratios were the same for all three, using values from the one for which I had data.  Fat and protein weights for the three mackerels are from the can labels.  

Light tuna has the highest ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 and the highest percentage of omega-3 relative to total fat but is so lean it probably is not a useful source of omega-3's.  

Alright, alright; sardines have the highest level of fat, the lowest protein to fat ratio and the lowest omega-3 to total fat ratio.  I retract everything I said previously about sardines being a nutritional bargain.  They are expensive, provide the worst "fat bargain" viz-a-viz omega-3's and protein, and nobody except me seems to like them.  I'm off it.

DISCUSSION
I have not gotten around to trying the red salmon yet so I don't have any idea why it should command such a high price.  If I try it and find out it is twice as good as the others, I will let you know.

Looks to me like pink salmon and mackerel are both good ways to boost omega-3's in a high protein food.  If you are just looking for balanced, complete protein with low fat, light tuna is clearly the choice.  Flavor-wise, I like salmon best, then tuna, both of which have distinctive flavors.  The mackerel is good in a nondescript, generic fish sort of way, and as noted before, cheap compared to the others.

Three recipes posted so far can be used for any of these:  "Salmon" Eggs and Grits, "Salmon" and Rice Cakes, and "Tuna" Salad with Raita.  I will keep myself open to other ideas and let you know if any of them turn out worthwhile.  Also, I would be interested in ideas for seasoning flavors to use with fish if you have nay to post in the comments.

Remember to make lemon-dill raita and keep it on hand to serve with any of these whenever you have them.

Lindsey

8 comments:

  1. OK, I finally got around to opening that can of red salmon. Yesterday I made a "tuna" melt for lunch from it and this morning I had salmon eggs with it. It was good, but not any better than pink salmon, in my opinion. I have no idea why it goes for 2X the price.
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. This morning, the Fates caught me at the Bechtelsville Super Walmart with 15 minutes to kill, so I decided to walk around and see what I thought of Walmart as a grocery store. I wound up taking a look at their canned fish section. Walmart has their own brand of some of the canned fish options and were selling a 14.75 oz can of pink Alaskan salmon for $1.68! That's significantly cheaper than mackerel at Redners. I hate to think who they are abusing to get the price so low. But on the other hand, if you are looking for cheap protein in your diet, this is a deal. I opened the can and used it to make salmon cakes tonight. Seems to be about the same as the other brands and tastes fine.

    They also have a 5 oz can of chunk light tuna in water for $0.68. Doesn't say where it comes from but does say it is wild caught, so presumably the middle of the ocean somewhere. Again, an unbelievably low price.

    They also had another brand of mackerel for $1.25 for a 15 oz can. That's about 60% of the normal price. I haven't tried it yet. After I bought it, I saw that the can lists it as a product of China. I am not sure that I trust the Chinese on cheap food after the melamine scandal. I might just throw this out and let mackerel stand at $2 a can.

    Walmart has a house brand of long grain rice that sells for about $0.55/lb. A cup of rice (dry) weighs about 200 g, so $0.25 at that price. Ramaan noodles are $0.22 a pack.

    I am morally opposed to Walmart because I suspect they are abusing suppliers. But on the other hand, with a Super Walmart nearby, there is no reason except ignorance to avoid good nutrition if you are poor. A can of tuna and a pack of Raaman noodles makes a lunch for $0.90. A can of salmon and a cup of rice makes a meal for two for <$2.

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't done much with canned fish over the summer what with Mom home from school and not interested in eating critters. This morning, I had a hankerin' to try salmon hash as a possible recipe. Started in on cooking the onions and potatoes and discovered that I had no salmon on hand, just those various cans of mackerel that I bought back in May when I was looking at pricing and nutrition. No problem, we'll grab one at random - I've been meaning to try them all eventually anyway. So I opened the can of Bumble Bee brand Chub Mackerel. This turned out to contain a collection of oily little fish with a very strong mackerel flavor, not at all like the generic white fish flavor of the of the regular-ole canned mackerel. Frankly, I didn't much care for it and wound up throwing out half of the hash. So Chub Mackerel gets three thumbs down in my book. For strong mackerel flavor, I'll stick with a small piece of salt mackerel at breakfast at the Masonic Temple twice a year or so. I'll have to get some salmon and try the salmon hash another time. Time to make some salmon cakes again, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the chub mackerel. Bones and all. I usually mix it with a small amount of dressing and various ground herbs. On top of brown rice or veggie noodles and I'm happy. I just hate the bubblebee is caught in China!? Whyyyy? Then distributed here. Makes no sense, as if we don't have mackerel. This is one reason I'm considering not using it anymore.

      Delete
  4. Out shopping for canned fish today (for a reason to be the subject of another post) and found only Chub Mackerel at Giant. Redners had Chub Mackerel and Jack Mackerel but no Mackerel. So it may be that availability of the different kinds of canned mackerel is seasonal. I noted in the September comment that I really didn't care much for the Chub Mackerel. Today I opened a can of Mackerel and a can of Jack Mackerel. The Mackerel was a collection of small fish, much like the Chub Mackerel, but without the strong oily taste; not too bad. The Jack Mackerel was pieces from larger fish with the generic fish flavor. Looks like Jack Mackerel is probably the stuff to buy, flavor-wise. I would not be inclined to buy Chub Mackerel at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, Jack Mackerel is also the winner for Omega-3's

      Delete
  5. It is very informative post,

    If you are looking for a Wholesale distributor to buy Mackerel Canned Fish Products for your store and is also concerned with the product quality, then HiLands Foods is the right place for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Informative article about the all canned fish with comparison data.
    Here is an article about how do fish poop and pee this article also related to your blog, if you want to read then welcome...

    ReplyDelete