Thursday, May 10, 2012

Quick and healthy "Apple Crisp"

You know I love dessert.  I'm also trying to eat less extra sugar and mores fruits and veggies.  So when I get the craving for dessert I try to come up with something that will feel like dessert but will mainly be fruit.  Here's my latest - it's based on apple crisp, but doesn't have nearly as much added fat and sugar.  I think I actually like it better than regular apple crisp, since it's not as overwhelmingly sweet and the apples aren't cooked to complete mush.

Dice an apple and put it in a microwavable bowl.  Sprinkle on about 1-2 tablespoons of craisins and 1-2 tablespoons of dry oatmeal.  Optional - sprinkle on a touch of brown sugar and/or some cinnamon.  Microwave for about 3 min until apples are just tender.  Stir everything together and eat as is or with a little cream or ice cream on top.

That's it - super simple, but a nice way to eat an apple, especially during this time of year when apples aren't really at their best.

No comments:

Post a Comment