Thursday, May 17, 2012

Garden Quiche for Breakfast



This morning when I got home from working out, I took a short walk around the garden and found that our asparagus, which has been doing very poorly this year - we are in the process of replanting - had actually produced a few spears.  I picked the asparagus along with a large sprig of volunteer dill which had come up in the asparagus patch, ate a couple of strawberries, which are just starting to ripen, as I passed the strawberry patch, thinned a few onions from the onion row, picked a small handful of endive, baby spinach leaves, and beet thinnings, then went around back to the spring garden for a couple of bigger spinach leaves and some lettuce.


My "haul" from a morning walk thru the garden
There was not enough asparagus for a meal, but it looked like enough for a personal sized quiche, so a breakfast concept was born.  I did not have any left over rice so I cooked 1/4 cup of rice while I took a shower.


I put the rice in a small Pyrex dish and spread it with the back of a spoon, then into the oven at 400 F to dry.


Chopped asparagus, green onions, and spinach with a clove of minced garlic and the sprig of fresh dill.

Add the asparagus to the rice crust...

Add the onions...

Add the fresh chopped spinach...

Two free range eggs from our chickens...
Added a couple of handfuls of shredded cheese (one cheddar, one Swiss) to the quiche, beat the eggs with 1/3 cup skimmed milk, salt, fresh ground pepper, a dash of ground mustard, the clove of minced garlic and the sprig of chopped dill and poured over the quiche, then popped it into the 400 F oven.

The other day, Mom and I had breakfast at the Blue Sky Cafe in Bethlehem where I had a breakfast salad with my eggs and toast.  The concept was new to me, so...

The greens made a breakfast salad of endive, lettuce, spinach and beet greens. 


Quiche, salad, left over home made lemon-basil vinaigrette from last night, grapefruit juice, and coffee

Well, it was 10:00 by the time it was done, so I guess it's really brunch.  Yum.
Lindsey

2 comments:

  1. How beautiful! I'm really looking forward to someday having space for a garden. It's so satisfying to go out, pick what's available, and plan a meal around it.

    Also, I love brunch. It think it's a great meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a breakfast salad with my salmon eggs this morning. If you haven't tried this concept yet, you should give it a try. Salad makes an excellent addition to breakfast.
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete