Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Corn and Tomato Salad

Here's a recipe from epicurious that you've got to try.  Perhaps it's best later in the summer when those veggies are more in season, but I can't help myself when I see the first corn of the season.


Ingredients:
2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 1/4 pounds tomatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
1 bunch of scallions, finley chopped, keeping white parts and greens separate
2 Tbs unsalted butter
4 cups corn kernels (from about 8 ears)

Preparation:
Whisk together oil, vinegar, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.  Toss tomatoes with dressing.  While tomatoes marinate, cook white parts of scallions in butter with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 4 minutes.  Add corn and saute until just tender, about 5 minutes.  Transfer to a bowl and cool.  Stir together corn, tomatoes, and scallion greens.


I've found that it doesn't take too long to brown of the whites of the scallions.  Once I add the corn, it takes longer than 5 minutes to get it where I want it.  There really is no wrong answer though.

I also recommend going heavy on the scallions.  I usually pick up two bunches and use most of it, but that's a personal thing.  Please don't skimp on the butter or use margarine.  When you're frying up the scallions/corn and take a giant whiff, you'll understand.  The smell is delicious and the flavor of the butter really does add something.  Call me Paula Deen, but it makes a difference ya'll!

Give this recipe a try, you won't be disappointed.  It's delicious and healthy!  The sweetness of the corn makes me always say it tastes like candy.


Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment