Friday, June 1, 2012

Stevia?

Has anyone else run across stevia yet?  I bought a plant at Glick's and put it in the perennial herb garden.  This is a substitute sweetener many times sweeter than sugar with no calories.  The other day we bought a bottle of organic, dried, powdered stevia at Echo Hill.  It's priced at $18.75/lb, but a medium sized bottle holds 0.08 lb and costs $1.50.  I tried sprinkling just a bit on some fresh strawberries this morning and it was very effective as a sweetener.  And it's just a powdered leaf.  What's not to like?
Lindsey

3 comments:

  1. Interesting. I generally shy away from alternative sweeteners, but only because usually they are artificial. Right now I'm trying to just decrease my taste for sweet things overall. I find when I cut back on sugar I really crave it initially, but then after a while don't really want it anymore. It would be interesting to see if using alternative sweetener prevented the cravings or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of stevia. I was tempted by it because it is natural but have never tried it. Now a days I just go with sugar. Good to know it's effective as a sweetener. I may give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just been cutting back on sugar in general, also, and I try to completely avoid high fructose corn syrup at all costs. When I do use a sweetener, I like to use honey (or a little maple syrup if waffles are involved). I figure if I avoid sugar most of the time, when I do use it, I should use the best. But the stevia thing intrigued me since it is just a dried, powdered leaf.
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete