Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Black bean, jicama, and corn salad

I realize I post a lot of recipes of salads.  I can't help myself - I just love trying and eating all types of summery mixtures.

I wanted to give jicama a try, so this was one of the first recipes I ran across.  There's a chance that you can't find jicama outside of the Southwest.  I'd never heard it until I moved out here.  However, just in case, here's the recipe.

I'm of the opinion that you can't go wrong with corn and black beans together, so this seemed like a natural fit.  It's a very summery, Tucsonian salad.  It does taste a little raw but I only got to eat it on the first day, I feel like after it sits for a bit it's better.  Also, next time I'd cut the jicama up in smaller pieces.


  • 2 large ears of corn, husked
  • 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed, drained
  • 1 cup 1/3-inch dice peeled jicama
  • 1/2 cup 1/3-inch dice peeled carrots
  • 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 cup (packed) chopped fresh basil

  • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Brush corn with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Grill corn until tender and brown in spots, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly. Cut off corn kernels; place in large bowl. Add black beans, jicama, carrots, green onions, cilantro, and basil.
Whisk lime juice, orange juice, lime peel, cumin, and remaining 4 tablespoons oil in small bowl. Mix dressing into bean salad. Season generously with salt and pepper. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover; chill. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.)


I should also point out that I didn't grill the corn.  I just cut it off the husk and cooked it in a pan with some butter (a la my corn/tomato salad).

Anywho, it's not a bad recipe to give a try if you're feeling different.  It's not perfect, but it gets the job done.

Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment