Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Weird, hippie, super-food, vegan "brownies"

So you all met Suz and Coley when you were out here for Thanksgiving.  Coley is the bald one and, at the time, Suz was the pregnant one who loved Dad's mashed potatoes.  Anyhow, they are vegetarians and Coley works at a food co-op in town.  They (mostly Coley) are becoming more and more health conscious.  I've been babysitting for them this summer and eat lunch with Coley every day.  I like vegetarian food just fine and enjoy eating healthy.  Recently they've decided to give up dairy for a month to see if anything changes.

The other night I went over to cook and eat dinner with them and Coley was making "vegan brownies."  I usually am quite suspicious of such things.  Suz assured me that they're delicious.

You start by throwing some kale (yes, kale), pecans, almonds, maybe walnuts into a food processor.  Then add vanilla extract and some dates.  After that you throw a bit of water in there and some cocoa powder.  You press that mess into a dish and throw it in the fridge to solidify.

I was even more suspicious after I saw/helped with the process than when I heard the name...kale...really?  Well it turns out - they are delicious!  Seriously, the dates are sweet and hold everything together.  If you use high quality cocoa powder, it's a nice chocolately flavor with very few calories.

Here's my beef though.  Don't call it a brownie.  It's not a brownie and it will never satisfy a craving for a brownie.  I'm the same way with veggie burgers.  I've had quite a few, and recently made some, and they're great!  Don't call it a burger.  It's not a burger.  It's a veggie patty, or a veggie sandwich or something.

Anyway, back to these "brownies."  They really are more like a bar than a brownie.  I sort of equate them to Clif Bars, but they aren't as fake and sweet.  I do think they are worth making and would be a great snack at school or something.

I suspect the calorie and fat content is higher than one would like to think though because of the nuts.  I think you still ought to limit yourself to one a day, but I could be wrong..

Just thought it was an interesting food experience I had recently.  They really were delicious!  We're going to try "chocomole" next.  It's chocolate mousse made with avocado instead of cream.

Molly

P.S.  This family is long winded.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds a bit like a Lara bar, though with the addition of kale. Sounds pretty good, but I'm with you that it doesn't sound like a brownie.

    ReplyDelete