Monday, May 7, 2012

Oatmeal craisan chocolate chip cookies

I thought Will and I could have fun making some cookies together the other day, so I started looking for a good recipe to make.  In the end, Will had no interest in making cookies with me - though he's enjoyed eating them a lot - but I FINALLY found a good cookie recipe.  Molly and I have lamented together our apparent inability to make a decent basic cookie, so I thought I would share this recipe with the idea that if I can make it so can you!  These cookies have held up in a tupperware remarkably well.  They were crispy on the outside and soft on the inside for the first day.  Since then they've lost the crispy on the outside, but are still a nice soft cookie texture - absolutely excellent with a spoonful of Breyer's butter pecan or chocolate ice cream on top.

Here's the link to the original recipe I found.
http://www.food.com/recipe/oatmeal-raisin-walnut-chocolate-chip-cookies-196504

And here's the ingredients list I used (note - I used less sugar, added salt, cut the walnuts, and replaced raisins with craisins and semi-sweet with bittersweet chocolate chips, increasing the amount of each to 1 1/2 cups):


  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
  • teaspoon baking soda
  • teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 t salt
  • cup butter 
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
  • large egg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • cup old fashioned oats
  • 1 1/2 cup bitter-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 1/2 cup craisins

  • The technique is basic: cream the butter and sugar, mix in the egg and vanilla.  Stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt then mix into the butter mixture.  Stir in the oatmeal, craisans, and chocolate chips.  I just dropped them onto the cookie tray and didn't bother pressing them out or anything, and they turned out great.  They don't spread a ton, so you can put them fairly close together on the tray.



    Nutrition information:  Eh - all things in moderation!

    1 comment:

    1. I made these last night for Suz and Coley. They were a hit. I then took the extras in to school today to give to my choir dorks at after school rehearsal. They disappeared...though to be fair, high schoolers will eat almost anything.

      Super simply cookie. I added nutmeg because I feel cinnamon and nutmeg are like peanut butter and jelly, mac and cheese, etc.

      ReplyDelete